Just a quick reminder that we always take August off for summer break. We hope you are enjoying your summer weather. In the meantime, p[ease refer to the July-August checklist in a previous post to learn how to care for your orchids during hot weather, and we look forward to seeing you all at our next regular meeting on September 2nd!
- Learn about collecting, growing, re-potting, and pest control from our monthly meetings’ guest speakers, many of whom are local, national and internationally recognized orchid experts. For just the cost of your annual dues, you can see their fabulous photographs, techniques, and presentations. You have the opportunity to listen and ask questions of these experts up close and personal. How great is that!
- Rub elbows with your fellow orchid enthusiasts. Many of our members have become good friends. Several of our members are expert growers in their own right. Ask questions, swap ideas and learn from each other, while you share a tasty snack from our well stocked refreshment table every month.
- Share your beautiful blooming orchids and see what the other members are growing at our monthly “Show and Tell”. Exhibitors have the opportunity to share information about their special plants and members can ask questions. You can also bring your camera a test your photographic skills.
- As a member, you will receive our Monthly SFVOS Newsletter via email (or by snail mail). Each issue is packed with the information you need to keep up with what’s happening in the orchid world. Every month you receive a preview of our upcoming meeting, plus a Calendar of upcoming events, educational articles, and much, much more.
- You’ll have unlimited access to our own com website that has hundreds of tips on how to care for your orchids. Discover what happening in the orchid world, look up a solution to a problem or download culture sheets. There is also a library of past issues of our Newsletter, links to instructional videos, and Monthly Orchid Care Checklists just to name a few of the features found on our website.
- Take home fabulous orchids every month from our Plant Opportunity Table (POT). For just the cost of a few “opportunity” tickets you could be a big winner.
- You are invited to attend our annual Holiday Party in December to share a meal and fun times.
The San Fernando Valley Orchid Society is a non-profit organization. Your membership dues pay for our Guest Speakers every month, provide the plants for the POT each month and pay our ongoing expenses such as our rent, website fees, and required insurance costs. Our Monthly meetings are held on the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Sepulveda Garden Center, located at 16633 Magnolia Blvd, Encino, CA 91436. Meeting starts at 7:00 pm.
A Message from our President: Millie Peskay
We closed our fiscal year with a Pot Luck dinner at the June meeting. Members contributed generously and innovatively for the Pot Luck tables. Dinner was followed by memberspeakers Art Mendoza and Millie Peskay who told of their experiences with cymbidium and
Vanda orchids. Thanks Art and Millie.
Millie donated a lovely plant purchased at the Conejo Orchid Society’s annual sale. It was sold at auction with proceeds to our Society.
Treasurer Bob Peskay gave a short summary of our finances for the Fiscal Year 2014-2015. Expenses exceeded income by $557 for the year and would have been more except for contributions of $625 from our members. Bob pointed out the great help of the contributions to support the ongoing programs and was greeted with generous contributions from Frank and Florence Shimizu and new member Jessie Broussard. Members may contribute at meetings or by mail directly to the treasurer. A more detailed financial report is elsewhere in this newsletter. We all had fun with three Bingo games with P.O.T. drawings between each game. Prizes were orchids purchased from Cal Orchids in Santa Barbara.
Finally, thanks to all the members for making a great year. As Usual, there will be no meeting in August so I look forward to seeing everybody on September 5th .